1. This is an online and mail-bid sale. Absentee bids will be accepted by mail, fax, email and phone until the day before the live online sale. On the day of the live online sale, only bids placed via the live online platform will be accepted: no phone, fax, email or mail bids can be entered on the day of the sale.
2. All lots will be sold to the highest bidder at the time of the sale. All bids (whether placed online or by mail, fax, email or phone) will be treated as limits and lots will be purchased below these limits where competition permits.
3. Absentee bidders should be mindful that bids submitted in irregular increments may be rounded to a lower bid to comply with the online platform’s established bidding increments.
4. Unless exempt by law, the buyer will be required to pay 7.5% sales tax on the total purchase price of all lots delivered in Ohio. Purchasers may also be liable for compensating use taxes in other states, which are solely the responsibility of the purchaser. Foreign bidders may be required to pay duties, fees or taxes in their respective countries, which are also the responsibility of the bidders.
5. This is not an approval sale. Any claims for adjustment by bidders must be made within three days after receipt of lots purchased. No lots may be returned without our written permission. By submitting bids you agree to the Terms of Sale.
6. Bidders unknown to us must supply acceptable credit references or a 25% deposit to assure entry of their bids. Registration of unknown bidders on the live online platform will constitute approval only when the bidder provides an acceptable credit card number with registration.
7. This is a reserve auction. The estimates of value are intended solely as a guide. Starting prices for this sale are at approximately two-thirds of estimate, though this may vary. Kolbe & Fanning reserve the right to purchase items in this sale for customers or stock at their discretion.
8. A buyer’s premium of 20% will be added to the cost of all lots purchased.
9. We reserve the right to withdraw any lot prior to sale for any reason.
10. All postage, insurance and shipping charges will be added to the buyer’s invoice. There will be a $3.00 charge per lot for processing.
11. A late payment fee of 2% per month will be charged on accounts remaining unpaid 30 days after the sale.
12. This sale is conducted in U.S. dollars. Payment may be made by check, money order, credit card, PayPal or wire transfer. All checks must be in U.S. dollars and drawn on U.S. banks. Our bank account details will be provided on request for wire transfers, and any bank charges must be paid by the sender.
13. Lots to be mailed to addresses not in the United States or its Territories will be sent only at the risk of the purchaser. When possible, postal insurance will be obtained. Packages covered by private insurance will be so covered at a cost of 1% of total value, to be paid by the buyer.
14. Title to all lots remains with the cataloguer until paid for in full. Payment must be made immediately upon notification or upon receipt of material. The discretionary right to withhold delivery of lots until full payment has been received is reserved.
15. All lots are as described. We acknowledge the possibility of errors or typographical mistakes, and any errors on our part will be cheerfully corrected. We cannot be responsible for your errors; please check your bid sheet carefully.
16. Kolbe & Fanning Numismatic Booksellers LLC are licensed by the State of Ohio Department of Agriculture (license 2011000028) as an auction firm, and are bonded as required by law in favor of the State of Ohio.
F° (folio) over 13 inches
4to (quarto) 12 inches
8vo (octavo) 9 inches
12mo (duodecimo) 7–8 inches
16mo (sextodecimo) 6–7 inches
24mo (vigesimoquarto) 5–6 inches
32mo (trigesimosecundo) 4–5 inches
As new — no signs of wear or defects.
Fine — nice clean copy, slight signs of use.
Very good — some wear, no serious defects.
Good — average used and worn book, complete.
Reading copy — poor but readable.
Ex-library — with library identification marks.
Unless stated otherwise, all books are bound; all periodicals and auction sale catalogues are in the original paper covers. Books without descriptions of condition may be assumed to be nice clean copies in the octavo range. Sizes are not always noted for auction catalogues and periodicals. All serious defects are noted.